The principles of Future Soon are as follows:
- It’s going to be The Future soon. For real;
- This site is primarily about the technology which will (in the view of the author) get us there. These include, but are not limited to:
- It also looks at cultural issues, both as a cause of larger change and a side effect of the above;
- Lastly, it examines the various visions of the future which have come from authors and futurists;
- It is a “link log”, which means that most posts are links to external sources with a small amount of commentary;
- It endeavours to be timely. When it can’t be timely, it tries to be relevant. When all else fails it makes a stab at being interesting and amusing;
- It tries not to link to news sites with toxic, negative and contemptuous outlooks1, except when there’s no other good option;
- It uses affiliate links (so I may make money if you click one and then buy something), but all opinions are genuine and authentic to the author. Anything which is sponsored will be clearly stated as such.
Who is the Author?
Nick Johnson. Pleased to meet you. I have a PhD in Autonomous Robotics and Human Computer Interaction, and a BSc in Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science. By day I mostly work on iOS and Android mobile apps at Google (which will, fair warning, affect what I can say about relevant projects based at Google or other Alphabet companies). Here are some other places you can find me on the internet:
- So nothing from the likes of Gizmodo, The Register or The Verge. ↩︎